Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Simple, Brilliant, Mistake Proofing at the Amazing In-N-Out Burger --- by Mark Graban


A little help for the not-so-common sensible:

I was in Los Angeles on Tuesday, and I had a little extra time on my way to the Burbank airport, which meant a rare treat—lunch at the famed In-N-Out Burger. I don’t mean to be that guy who tweets what he eats, but my lunch is pictured at right.
 
The main picture I wanted to share is a simple example of perfect mistake-proofing (aka error proofing or “poka-yoke”). There is a possible customer error that could be made in many fast-food or deli restaurants: throwing the reusable tray into the trash bin.

Ineffective organizations post signs, warning, and exhortations. Smart organizations plan for mistake-proofing. Here is the error proofing—the hole that you throw your wrapper, cup, and food waste into is round and smaller than the rectangular reuseable tray.


I didn’t really fight or shove the tray while staging this photo, but it was clear that the tray would not fit into the round hole. Problem prevented : It is physically impossible to trash the tray.
 
Yes, I know you’re not supposed to throw away the tray. I think this is obvious to most customers.
In comparison, most Quiznos restaurants merely admonish the customers with signs saying, “Please Do Not Throw Away Baskets.”
 
The Quiznos tray fits into the trash hole (which is huge). I wonder how many trays they lose.
 

Does Quiznos really believe that its customers think the hard plastic trays are disposable? If you do accidentally drop the tray into the dirty trash and food scraps, are you likely to want to retrieve it? I suppose I could have titled this story, “Quiznos Thinks You Are Dumb,” but of course that isn't true, they are just shifting the mistake proofing onto the customer rather than deal with it themselves.
 
If Quiznos had followed In-N-Out's lead of mistake proofing the trash, they could have filled that high-visibility space with a “Thank You for Your Business” message.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great information! Really this is very helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helpful and also superb page layout, although discuss nutritional requirements combined with options and also suggestions, quite a few great facts and also motivation. Cheers towards the great facts. Male Enhancement Pills Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. toko gold

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site by accident, and I am shocked why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it. discount radiators

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post! κορυφαίες ειδήσεις της ημέρας

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I like the sea side and I have haired that Hawaii is a must visit place because of long waves that move from height and talk to skies. Cutting steroids UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog article content is very deep, with very strong philosophical knowledge, these have great value. We very much enjoy your share, benefit from a lot. Thank you for your sharing, I am very much looking forward to more of your wonderful sharing. condos for rent pompano beach

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your good knowledge and kindness in playing with all the pieces was very useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not encountered such a step like this. Steroids in uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your website are outstanding. I always love to give you 5 star rating. Portaloo Hire Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new invaluable purposes interior production about more powerful metals which often is made up of responses to be able to troubles many of us very long to locate result large electricity physics. Cannabis business plan template Canada

    ReplyDelete
  11. An item appears to be rather amazing. As well as post gives us quite a few facts. come to be content, My spouse and i seriously discovered rather brilliant and also unique suggestions. Which means this may be helpful to anyone... Cheers intended for making this enjoyable website. cannabis business pro forma

    ReplyDelete
  12. As i have confidence in your site and also I am to be able to look at a whole lot far more at some point quickly and so it is advisable to take alone respond. Africa hemp CBD

    ReplyDelete

  13. Nice article, thank you for sharing!

    Know more about us at www.pacificcert.com

    ReplyDelete